UPDATES: 9 injured in mass shooting in Over-the-Rhine Sunday; suspect not in custody

Nine people were taken to the hospital after a shooting in Over-the-Rhine Sunday.

It started around 1:39 a.m. when officers were called to Main and 13th streets for a report of a disorderly crowd.

While officers were working to clear the crowd from the streets, a fight broke out between two groups of people nearby.

Police said two people involved in the fight pulled out guns and exchanged gunfire near the intersection of Main and Woodward streets.

Police say two officers saw a person shooting people on Main Street.

One of the officers fired a round at the shooter in an effort to stop the threat. Shortly after the officer fired at the shooter, the shooter fled the scene toward Sycamore Street.

Police said it’s unknown if the officer hit the suspect when he fired the shot.

Police said all they have right now is a vague description of the suspect, who was described as wearing a white shirt and dark pants.

Cincinnati police gave first aid to a lot of the victims on the scene, applying tourniquets to gunshot wounds.

Cincinnati police transported some of the victims while others self-transported to area hospitals.

Nine people were ultimately treated at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries.

Police said officers used flash bangs for crowd control in the aftermath of the shooting.

“Today’s events are completely and totally unacceptable. The use of guns to solve disputes cannot become a normal part of our culture. I want to express the City’s gratitude to the officers on the scene. Their quick response likely saved many more from injury and prevented the loss of life,” Cincinnati Mayor Aftab Pureval said in a statement.

Lindsay Swadner, the owner of The Hub in Over-the-Rhine, was working when she said she heard 30 shots and walked outside where she saw multiple people with gunshot wounds.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Swadner said after that, that’s when the chaos erupted. People began to run and find safety moments after they were enjoying a night out with friends and family.

The Hub became a safe haven, with multiple people running inside to seek cover and safety.

“There was probably about 25 to 30 shots fired off in two separate rounds. You had first where it went ‘bang, bang, bang, bang,’ we all start looking around going, ‘Was it over?’ And then you heard ‘bang, bang, bang, bang’ and everyone started running inside of wherever you could go,” Swadner recalled. “And so we started pulling people inside. I made sure everyone was inside, I walked up the street to see what happened and there was, of course, more shooting victims, I’m not sure how many.”

She added that among the people seeking cover inside The Hub was a wedding party.

There was also a separate shooting at the Banks earlier Sunday morning where 2 other people were shot. WLWT is told the two shootings aren’t believed to be related. We are working to learn more about that incident.

Police said the investigation is still in its preliminary stages. They’re asking anyone who may have witnessed the shooting or has any information to call police at 513-352-3040.

Police said they will provide an update at 12 p.m. WLWT will stream the press conference live.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *