SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
All six people who died in Sunday morning’s mass shooting in downtown Sacramento were identified by the coroner’s office Monday morning. Twelve other people were hurt in the shooting.
The three men and three women who died ranged in ages from 21 to 57.
KCRA 3 spoke with the families of the people killed. Here is what we’ve learned about each of them.
Sergio Harris, 38, of North Highlands
Sergio was the first person identified in the mass shooting. His mother, Pamela Harris, was at the shooting scene that morning, waiting to see if her son was among those killed.
“My son was a very vivacious young man,” Pamela said. “Fun to be around, liked to party, smiling all the time. Don’t bother people. For this to happen is crazy. I’m just to the point right now, I don’t know what to do. I don’t even feel like this is real. I feel like this is a dream.”
Harris told KCRA 3 that she had just had dinner with her son Saturday night.
Sergio’s wife Leticia Harris also spoke to KCRA 3.
“This is a sad and terrible act of violence that took the lives of many,” she said. “I want answers so I can have closure for my children.”
Joshua Hoye-Luchessi, 32, of Salinas
Sherilyn is now grieving the loss of her son, looking through old photos and reminiscing about how he changed her life.
Sherilyn said she received a phone call from Joshua’s girlfriend at 2:45 the morning of the shooting, telling her that Joshua had been shot and killed.
She later saw photos and videos of Joshua on social media.
“It was a post of my son on the ground dead. It was sent to me through Instagram. My son was lying on the ground dead,” Sherilyn said.
Joshua leaves behind six children — five girls and one boy — all younger than 9 years old.
Sherilyn said she is planning the funeral for Joshua, who was born and raised in Sacramento, near her home.
Melinda Davis, 57, who was living unhoused in Sacramento
Where the investigation stands
Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said Sunday that the shooting broke out after a large fight in the area, multiple shooters were believed to be involved and a stolen gun was recovered at the scene.
At least three nearby buildings and three cars were also hit by gunfire, Lester told KCRA 3 on Monday. Lester also announced that a 26-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the shooting. Dandrae Martin was taken into custody and booked on charges of assault with a firearm and being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.
Sacramento Police Department SWAT members and detectives also served search warrants at three residences in the area. At least one handgun was recovered, police said.
Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying who is responsible.
In a video, more than 70 gunshots could be heard as people ran to safety.
President Joe Biden and political leaders across California have condemned the shooting.